Monday, June 20, 2011

Chicken & Fries: Fiesta Style!

     I appreciate good fries and wings just like the next girl. But I really don't like to fry things and I don't need the calories! I grew up in a house with a father that prefers to have everything fried (pork chops, cubed steak, fries, vegetables, etc). Now that I have my own kitchen, I tend to bake or roast food. You can spice the wings and fries however you want and it's a lot healthier.
     My husband is a fan of chicken wings or drumsticks (whatever they are called). As mentioned, I am not really into frying so I bake or roast. I have made this recipe with many different flavors but tonight I chose Fiesta Lime. This recipe makes enough for my husband, me, and our little girl. For bigger crowds, just do more chicken and fries but the same cooking and temperatures will work.

Wings:
10 drumsticks or 20 wings
Abt 3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
Abt 1/4 cup Mrs. Dash seasoning
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
   Pull skin off chicken and put the chicken in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Season the chicken liberally and then pour over the oil and mix well. Allow to marinate about 2-3 hours or as much time as you have. Put onto a foil lined sheet pan and roast on 400 for about 45 minutes, turning halfway through. (Might need more time, check for clear juices)

Fries:
4-5 potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
   Slice the potatoes on an angle or into rounds. Put into boiling water to par-boil about 5 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly. Put onto a foil lined and greased sheet pan. Sprinkle with seasoning and roast on 400 for about 30 minutes until golden brown on both sides. Turn halfway through or when you notice browning.
 Serve with ranch or your favorite dipping sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment