Saturday, April 23, 2011

Newcomer

By all local standards, I am a typical southern cook. To us, chef's have been to culinary school (my dream) and cooks are people who are cooking for their family. There is nothing better than a glass of sweet tea with supper. Yes, down here in the South, we eat supper. My daddy calls his lunch dinner, but for us, it's definitely called supper.
I started cooking and baking when I was about 6 years old. I would sit on the counter next to the stove and watch my mama while she was cooking. I can cook basically anything well and have several specialties. As far as my age, I am a dying breed. I cook at least 6 days a week, usually 7. Most of the women my age can't or won't cook. I guess it's in my blood.

A typical week of suppers at our house would be:
Monday: Chicken tetrazzini
Tuesday: Spaghetti, garlic bread (ground meat is venison)
Wednesday: Chicken and dumplin's
Thursday: Venison kebobs, mashed potatoes, and broccoli
Friday: Pork chops, rice, black eyed peas
Saturday: Venison stew with potatoes and carrots, biscuits
Sunday: Pork roast, mashed potatoes, green lima beans, cornbread 

My husband is an avid hunter. You name it, he probably enjoys hunting it. He even does guided turkey hunting trips for people. We have an ENTIRE freezer that has nothing but venison (deer) meat. I use it for basically anything that a normal cook would use beef. It is a very lean and healthy meat and it can be used in such a variety of ways.

My husband's grandmother and mother are excellent cooks. I had a lot to live up to when I married my husband. He tells people he married me because of my cooking abilities. It's a lot easier if you LOVE to cook, then it isn't a chore.

3 comments:

  1. Put some recipes up!

    Love,
    Morgan :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do soon! I am going to include a recipe per post at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently giving you a simultaneous thumbs up and nod of approval.

    <3 Morgan

    ReplyDelete